[asterisk-dev] Help Solve the Mysterious Slowdown in Sip channel driver in Trunk!

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Mon Jun 30 11:58:52 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 17:44 -0600, Steve Murphy wrote:
> I am seeking help in solving a Mystery!!
>
> It goes something like this:

Sorry, some more factoids to consider:

1. I wondered if MTX_PROF, by itself, might have some effect on
the numbers. Tested, no big diff.

2. I wondered if CDR generation might affect things, turned them
off.  Tested, no big diff.

3. I wondered if the 199 reps of find_channel might have some
effect. Reduced to 19. Now it seems to just run more often.
No big diff.

I got really curious about the diff between the pbx_start() run
time and pthread_create() run times. In 1.4 it's pretty much a
rock solid 20 usec difference. But in trunk, I can see
pbx_start() times be 2-100x the pthread_create() times.
Explanation: logging adds to the pbx_start time, and so does
increase_call_count; on several runs the delays added by
either vary from 2 microseconds to 19903 microseconds,
and ast_log from 11 to 19802 microseconds. These kinds of
times seem to telescope along with pthread_create, and make
the pbx_start time telescope along with the pthread_create
time.

murf

--
Steve Murphy