[asterisk-dev] Quick question about this bug report

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jun 13 16:25:18 CDT 2008

On Friday 13 June 2008 15:53:50 John Lange wrote:
> I reported this bug about console delays that was closed:
>
> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=12851
>
> Corydon mentions the script atscli as a solution. I just want to mention
> that as of 1.4.21, there is no astcli script in contrib.
>
> I assume that is an oversight because I was able to locate it in
> svn/trunk and it works great.

It's technically a new feature.

> And just a minor comment; though the console isn't supposed to be suited
> for scripting I still think it is exhibiting some strange behaviour
> that's worth debugging. Why is it hanging after -rx commands? It never
> used to do that. It's a small delay but it may be hinting at a larger
> problem.

The way that the -rx command works is kind of a hack, and due to output
delays, it's always been possible for output to be truncated.  By lengthening
the time that the remote console waits for output, it is more assured that the
output of the command is complete.  Specifically, -rx is exactly the same as a
remote console, except that it waits for output only for a certain amount of
time and then disconnects.  The delay was simply lengthened from 100ms to
500ms, to ensure that all output had the chance to make it through the pipe
to the output device.

Another annoyance that we fixed recently was that on fairly busy servers, -rx
would never disconnect, because the console did not distinguish between
verbose console output and command output.  This has been changed, such
that all verbose output is prefixed by a special preamble, which is then
detected and removed at display time.  This also means that the output of
-rx is now much cleaner than it has been in the past.

--
Tilghman