[asterisk-dev] MusicOnHold event

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Mon Jun 9 09:38:55 CDT 2008

Gabriel Ortiz Lour wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I'll do it. But I have a question, why the trunk source code is so
> diferent from the release ones? I have done some modifications on the
> Asterisk I use here (1.4.19) and would like to include in the trunk
> version, but since it's so diferent I was wondering when this changes
> would be in a release?
>
> Gabriel

The current trunk serves as the development area for the 1.6 releases of
Asterisk. 1.6.0 has been feature-frozen. This means that the features that are
in trunk (or a subset of them) which are not in 1.6.0 will be candidates for
future versions of 1.6.

Regarding your question of why trunk is so much different than 1.4, the simple
answer is that it is where new development of Asterisk occurs. As a result,
there are new features, more streamlined ways of implementing old features, and
new API's available. If you have questions about specific portions of the trunk
code, then they could be explained. The CHANGES file in the top-level source
directory is a good source for seeing user-level changes to Asterisk between 1.4
and trunk and may help shed some light from a development angle as well.

Mark Michelson