[asterisk-dev] Using DDD to run Asterisk

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Jun 6 09:47:28 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 09:54 +0530, Sharan Saxena wrote:
> Dear List Members,
>                   I am new to using DDD. I request members to kindly direct
> me to any suggestions or online resource for debugging Asterisk with DDD.
> Thanks and Regards
> Sharan

Sharan--

IIRC, DDD is just a frontend for gdb. Gdb is a great
debugger to use with asterisk. To get good results,
use "make menuselect", select "Compiler options" or
whatever, set DONT_OPTIMIZE before you compile
asterisk, to give you better results. Having the
compiler optimize the code makes it a bear to
debug at times, as the correspondence to the
source code gets lost.

And, by default, asterisk runs as root. So,
you'll have to run ddd, or at least the
underlying gdb, as root in order to allow
asterisk to do what it needs to do.

Asterisk is highly threaded; so familiarize
yourself with how you switch between
threads, etc.

Good Luck!

murf