[asterisk-dev] [policy] Discussion on IRC - how to make -dev more useful

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jun 4 15:00:05 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 02:37:59PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 June 2008 10:45:27 Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:26:48AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > > People who don't want to call extra attention to their proposals are free
> > > to ignore it.  Those of us who _want_ to draw attention and discussion
> > > from the list will use the tags.  Quite simple, really.  I think I've
> > > already used the [policy] tag once before, and it's nice to have a formal
> > > proposal, so that we all know what the various tags mean.
> >
> > And people who want to join in your
> >
> > 1452 N * 06/04 Tilghman Lesher (  51) Re: [asterisk-dev] [policy]
> > Discussion on
> >
> > oh, wait.  Discussion on *what*?  Bummer.  :-)
>
> Without the tag, the remainder of the subject would have been
> "Discussion on IRC - how to", which still doesn't give you any more
> information.

Yes, but *that* isn't the fault of the tagging policy.  It's the fault
of the original poster.

>               The real key is probably that you need to widen your
> terminal, which I do believe Mutt will take advantage of to display
> more characters in the subject.

I'm old.  :-)  I have to keep the xterm windows comfortably readable
because I stare at them all day.  And, ironically, I have another
problem, which perhaps someone knows the answer to:  If you *do* run
mutt in an xterm wider than 80 characters, I have not yet found a
reliable way to get *vi* (vim, actually) to autowrap based on the
*left* margin rather than the right one, as is its default.  This
leaves you needing to reset your wm every time you resize the window,
which is similarly unpleasant.

Suggestions?  Did I miss, say, the ability to

set wm=-72

?

Cheers,
-- jra