[asterisk-dev] [policy] Discussion on IRC - how to make -dev more useful

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jun 3 00:32:16 CDT 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008 23:09:06 John Todd wrote:
> I propose the following subject area tags which would prepend the
> Subject: line in many (most?  all? "all" is pretty ambitious) posts
> to the -dev list - feel free to add, delete, modify, and discuss:
>
> [design]   - for long-term design decisions, future or present
> [bug]      - to discuss a bug that exists (NOT for design discussions
>                 that are felt to be bugs by some)
> [feature]  - for discussing feature requests (incomplete standards
>                 implementation is not a bug, though it looks like one)
> [policy]   - to discuss policy, politics, or method comments (eg: coding
>                 guidelines)

I'm fine with these 4 as they are fairly logical.

> [tactical] - to discuss implementation details or questions for those
>                 working on code that relates to bugs or features that
>                 are in progress.  This is the most difficult area to
>                 keep clear, since often these issues will stray across
>                 boundaries.

I don't think this is all that clear, and I also think that it's getting too
fine-grained over the [bug] and [feature] categories above.  I'd remove
this one altogether.

> [other]    - anything that doesn't fit above, including general
>                 announcements,

I don't see the need for this.  Announcements are generally along the lines
of releases, and the subject line is usually more than clear.  I'd remove this
one as well.

--
Tilghman