[asterisk-dev] XML documentation of apps/functions/the_rest_of_the_world

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Tue Jul 8 11:30:42 CDT 2008

Hi all,

Olle already mentioned it briefly, but I wanted to devote a whole post
to it:
We are currently working on defining and implementing an XML format for
apps/function/etc documentation.

The goal of this project is to convert the static documentation in the
sourcecode into a parseable format that will be loaded at runtime.
Right now, the apps for example, have a static char description that
documents all the options etc. This info can only be used inside
asterisk on the CLI with 'core show application FOO'

With this new XML setup we can still do that, but the documentation will
be structured and parseable.
One thing that comes to mind is some webbased documentation.

We defined the format in:
http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/team/group/appdocsxml/doc/xmldocumentation.txt?view=markup
and the TODO list in:
http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/team/group/appdocsxml/TODO_appdocsxml?view=markup

Now we ask for your help.

Please provide feedback on this project.
The first thing we need now is an XML format we agree on, so we can work
on the implementation details.

For those who want to see it in action, the branch compiles and
documentation for Dial, RetryDial, MeetMe and a couple of others use
this new method.

Thank you for your time!

--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu
http://michiel.vanbaak.eu

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"