[asterisk-dev] Locking, coding guidelines addition

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Jul 4 20:30:14 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Stephen Davies
<stephen.l.davies at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/4 Steve Totaro <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com>:
>>
>> Call me Mr. Obvious, but why not use locks like Callweaver (the entire
>> reason it was created)?
>>
>> I stay far, far, as far away as I can from IAX, that is unless I am
>> fixing a customer's system and switch from IAX to SIP, and make a nice
>> profit.
>

> Steve:
>
> Was this supposed to be a constructive reply to my post?

Any reasonable replies should  viewed as "constructive."  Fanboys aside.

> What programmer hasn't wanted a fresh start?  But usually its actually
> better to persevere.  And Asterisk is a million miles ahead of FreeSwitch in
> practical capabilities.  This sort of discussion will get these issues
> sorted sooner or later.

Exactly, constructive as you said above.  Is it better to persevere on
a sinking ship, or get on the Coast Guard ship?

> As you know, Asterisk is moving the linked lists out.  But whether you use
> linked lists or hashes to find a data structure, you still need mutexes to
> control threads that are contending for the structure.
>
> The only alternative is really alternative environments like Erlang that
> have no (!) shared memory.
>
> As for IAX - I know it very well and use it all the time.  Admittedly, I
> have also invested lots of personal energy into it.  Nothing can get
> anywhere near it for squeezing those bits and we need that in a country
> where we pay easily 10 to 100 times per megabit what you pay in the US.
>  (Lets see -  512k DSL line, 256k upstream for about US$60 per month with a
> 3 gigabyte cap including both upload and download)
>
> Using IAX trunking, variable bit rate Speex with the pre-processor etc I can
> achieve 7 kilobits per second per concurrent call _including_ all IP
> overhead.  That's for voice that sounds as good as G729 if not better.
>  That's twice as good as any SIP I ever saw even with proprietary "packet
> saver" or whatever.

I prefer speex any day over IAX.

> We have a customer that carries 500+ concurrent calls across the country
> using such an IAX trunk.

Glad for your success, I have customers running that many and the
audio was poor until I switched to SIP or Speex.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro