[asterisk-dev] How to develop a new channel driver for asterisk

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:16:03 CST 2008

Each channel driver is responsible for launching its own monitor
thread(s) to receive and handle call initialization. Once they have
received a call they check his configuration file settings to see the
context where they should send the call to, then they call
ast_pbx_start() core routine to start an independent thread that will
start execution in the dial plan.

You must register a struct ast_channel_tech that contains several
signaling callbacks and properties of your channel driver. The core of
Asterisk will call those callbacks when appropiate.

You really should take a look at the several channel drivers in
channels/ so you will have a better idea of how to implement that,
then come back here with any specific question you have about how to
implement x functionality in your driver.

- Moisés Silva

On Jan 23, 2008 3:05 AM, MOSBAH ABDELKADER <abdelkader2006 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My question is : How to develop a new channel driver for asterisk?.
>
> I know that, after starting Asterisk, there is a monitoring thread that
> matches each incoming call to the appropriate channel driver. For example
> when a sip call is coming the thread loads the SIP channel to handle it.
>
> What is not clear for me is: what is the relation between the monitoring
> thread and the channel driver to develop, i mean how the channel driver will
> subscribe to it for an appropriate type of call? And what are the other
> properties, in addition to the relation with the monitoring thread, the new
> channel driver have to respect to be compatible with asterisk?.
>
> Please help.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Abdelkader Mosbah

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the
death your right to say it." Voltaire