[asterisk-dev] How to develop a new channel driver for asterisk

MOSBAH ABDELKADER abdelkader2006 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 03:05:50 CST 2008

Hello all,

My question is : How to develop a new channel driver for asterisk?.

I know that, after starting Asterisk, there is a monitoring thread that
matches each incoming call to the appropriate channel driver. For example
when a sip call is coming the thread loads the SIP channel to handle it.

What is not clear for me is: what is the relation between the monitoring
thread and the channel driver to develop, i mean how the channel driver will
subscribe to it for an appropriate type of call? And what are the other
properties, in addition to the relation with the monitoring thread, the new
channel driver have to respect to be compatible with asterisk?.

Please help.

Best regards.

Abdelkader Mosbah