[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

Paul Hewlett paul at gccs.co.za
Wed Jan 16 04:14:00 CST 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:55:01AM +0200, Paul Hewlett wrote:
>>
>> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>>> Subversion has indeed some intersting capabilities for branching and
>>> such. But for the purpose of "building from source" all you really need
>>> to know is:
>>>
>>>   svn checkout
>>>   svn update
>>>
>>> You messed something? You delete it, and update again. You messed
>>> something big? delete and checkout all over again. Or move aside and
>>> checkout all over again. No need to keep 10 different snapshot tarballs
>>> around.
>>>
>> Has anyone considered using Bazaar from Canonical ?
>
> Or git? Or mercurial? Or darcs?
>
>> It is like subversion but distributed i.e. you can do commits etc
>> without needing the central server. Of course you can still have a
>> central server....
>
> Generally distributed version control systems are even more complicated
> than centralized control systems such as Subversion.
>
> They have very cool features for *developers*. The ones that are not
> afraid of using Subversion in the first place. But as for easy of use
> for the simple "grab the latest copy" usage pattern - they only make
> life more complicated, in the worse case. For instance, there is no
> simple and short revision number (because there's no One Repository tht
> sets revision numbers at commit time for everybody).

True - but recently the asterisk SVN server was down and with Bazaar
that would not necessarily be a problem - you could setup 2 central
Bazaar servers - lose one and you still have the other.
Or checkout the SVN tree into a bazaar repository on your PC and use it
to merge with other developers independently of the central server.

I would think that anyone who uses a VCS such as subversion etc. would
be a developer - users just use tarballs or rpms or whatever ?

Paul

- --
www: http://www.gccs.co.za
Tel: +27 86 111 3433 Fax: +27 86 111 3520
Cel: +27 76 072 7906