[asterisk-dev] Easy packaging (Was unstable releases)

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Tue Jan 15 17:06:43 CST 2008

I have been following the "was" thread and wanted to spin-off a new
thread for consideration.

What would people's thoughts be on spending some time and effort (new
branch?) on getting Asterisk, Zaptel, Addons, etc. to be more easily
packaged.  Wether that be changing source code, makefiles, or just
providing "convenience" scripts.

For me, the hardest thing with even thinking about testing with trunk
is that it is not always easy to rollback to a previous "version" if
something is not working and you just can't get around it.  I am sure
others have their own reasons for not wanting to run trunk and I admit
I don't run it nearly as much as I wish I could, but the only way to
do good testing is to make it a semi-live system.  For me that means
the IT department phones are on our test (bleeding edge) server and
everything else runs on the "stable" server.  But even with that, if I
load up the latest svn and it keeps crashing, locking up, whatever and
I just can't track down the problem I can't just not have my phones
work.  So while I work on the specific problem I have found in a
sandbox, I need my test server running something stable.

What I would like to see (and yes be willing to help with, but I don't
want to go off half-cocked and do it myself and then have it only work
for a small majority of people) is
1) An easier, overall, method for packagers to build up .rpms, .debs,
etc.
2) A standard "stock" build that works for most people's needs
(Asterisk is modular, how many people need special compile time
settings?)
3) An automated "stock" packaging process that builds for as many
platforms as we can accommodate without funky patching etc. scripts
(hence #1).
3) A nightly, or more likely, semi-nightly automated packaging process
from trunk and/or branches.

#1 I think we can do without too much effort, the biggest hurdle I
myself have when building up RPMs is the dependancy issue(s).  It
would be nice to find a way to build/install zaptel in such a way that
asterisk can use it for building and same with addons (addons might
already be okay with this).  I think the hardest part would be zaptel
because of the kernel dependancies.

#2 again I think wouldn't be hard, just a matter of discussion.

#3 would be the hard one.  We would need either systems at digium to
do this or volunteers that can run cron jobs nightly to look for new
releases and automatically build, package and upload to a staging area
for approval (make sure the entire set is there, no empty .rpms,
etc.).  Because distributions change over time, sometimes with every
release, their core library (libc, etc.), an rpm set for fedora 7 is
not going to work with fedora 3.  At the moment, I have fedora 8 and
fedora 6 on running machines and again would be happy to let them
build automated packages.

If we can get #3 working then #4 is just a matter of debate.  How
often?  Which branches (if any)?.  How long do we keep them around?

I think the hardest part in this whole list would be making Zaptel
more easily packagable.  And personally, I would vote on just
packaging it for the stock kernel in the release it is built for.  I
rarely build custom kernels on anything but a "full" production
server.  My test servers, because I often need to rebuild them ever
few months, don't even bother doing a custom kernel for.

Something along these lines (and please comment on any aspect of this
e-mail) I think would help to alleviate a number of the release
problems.  As has been said, this is a major software package that has
many aspects.  I do as much testing I can before going live, but I
only use probably 5-8% of the functionality in Asterisk.  I think if
we can make 1) the process of getting testable versions of trunk or
even releases more convenient and 2) the ability to rollback incase
something goes incredibly south quick and painless then we would a
much better response from the community in testing trunk.

Regards and please comment!
Daniel Hazelbaker