[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Tue Jan 15 12:13:27 CST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 18:26 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:24:57AM -0600, John Lange wrote:
> > Back at Fall Von 2007, during the BOF session the topic of having a
> > daily SVN snapshot available for download was raised and there seemed to
> > be agreement that this was a good idea.
> >
> > If you make it easier to get early releases more people will do so and
> > hopefully more bugs will be found which might help improve stability.
>
> If it is such a good idea, then why wait for Digium to implement it?
>
> Start yourself.
>
> I once posted here a nice script to grab the latest branch from the SVN
> as a tarball and even deduce a version number for it that is freindly
> for automated packaging. Will that help you?

If someone wants to grant me root access to the Asterisk servers I'd be
happy to implement a cron with the script you provide. I don't have the
bandwidth to do it myself and besides, I think it should come from an
official source.

> I suspect that you'll have to convince people here by actually providing
> packages and demonstrating that they are easier to install (and useful
> enough for debug) than a source distribution.

There are already packages for OpenSUSE and others but I don't use them
because until recently they significantly lag behind the current
releases.

However, just checked again and looks like someone is doing a good job
maintaining them now so I might give it a second look.

http://packages.opensuse-community.org/index.jsp?searchTerm=asterisk&distro=openSUSE_103

> By "easy to install, I also refer to answering the question: "which
> specific set of files can I use on my Linux[0] distribution? What .so
> files exactly should I load in the modules directory?

If the modules are to be provided separately then they would be
distributed as separate packages. This is what is done with packages
like Apache & PHP now so I can't see why it wouldn't work for Asterisk.

If you look at the above link; SUSE 10.3 now has a "one click install".
Doesn't get much easier.

John