[asterisk-dev] Simulation of radios with something like MeetMe()

Holger Wirtz wirtz at dfn.de
Thu Jan 10 02:34:12 CST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:39:17AM -0600, Steven S. Critchfield wrote:
[...]
> While thinking about this, meetme would probably be the wrong application
> to host this. Specifically, as I understand it, meetme currently creates
> one mix audio stream and then distributes this to the various parties.
> What you need is a different stream per user mixed based on relative
> distances. Also the need to be able to wipe certain signals out as they
> are overpowered b y closer strong signals.

I took a lokk at the sources... maybe meetme is not the right base for
writing such an application.

> I think what you need is going to be a fairly complex problem and well
> beyond usefull in the telephony world where we want to make this all the
> best quality sound possible.

Yes, I know. Everyone is glad because Asterisk is a stable and flexible
plattform and than a Flight-Sim'mer comes in and wants evil things like
half-duplex, noise and distortion :-)

I really so not want to block the developers from
doing important things for Asterisk. But before starting with coding or
even thinking deeper for this problem I just want to know if others
think that this is manageable.

Using Asterisk for communication has some big advantages. Currently an
implementaion based on Asterisk is running - but it is ATC based, what
means: the range calculation is done on the coords of the plane and the
coords of the airport (fixed coords, where the ATC should sit and watch).
There is no other physical simulation (noise, loudness, EQ) realised yet. The
frequencies are simply coded to a number (which identifies the airport
and the frequency clearly) and leaving the supposed range of 50 km means
that a hangup is done (very digitial implemented :-) ).

With Asterisk/VoIP you have a defined standard for coding and
transmission. Also some features (like booking ATCs for frequencies) or
simply setup weather informations for airports with to some kind of voicebox
is simply done.

> You also might want to consider how realistic you want your radio
> simulator to work. For instance, if you are flying below the peak of a
> mountain range, your quality over the range is going to be affected by
> where your receiver is and what kind of signal bounces you might get.

No, I do not think that mountains should influence the sound. Here are
some of my ideas (in descending order of implementation needs) which I
like to realise:

- quality interference (such as a LoFi filter: noise distortion,
  bandpath EQ)
- mixdown based on distance (means more noise and turning the sound
  down)
- crosstalk simulation (perhaps not realistic)
- ...

Regards, Holger