[asterisk-dev] some modest suggestions for 1.6

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 07:54:00 CST 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:10:52PM -0500, sean darcy wrote:
>> As a weak to moderate asterisk user, I decided to try 1.6-beta3 on a new
>> machine I'm trying to use at home. I haven't set up a new box since 1.4
>> about 14 months ago.
>>
>> The new box was fedora 8, a new install. Lots of trouble with beta3. Odd
>> error messages. What I finally realized was the some devel packages
>> weren't installed - e.g. speex-devel, gsm-devel.
>>
>> It'd be helpful, at least to me, if configure spit out what it found and
>> what it needed. Or at least listed the codecs it would generate, and
>> which it wouldn't.
>>
>> On my old box, this wouldn't have a problem, but I'd plumb forgotten
>> what I'd done 14 months ago. It'd be helpful to those of us who don't *
>> all the time, but appreciate those who do.
>
> What do you think about:
>
>   http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=10523

Slightly different. beta3 built right out of the box. So all the
prerequisites were met. Which gets to your next point...

> Note that the packages you need to install highly depends on both:
>
>   1. the distribution you use
>   2. the extra features you actually need

Fair enough, but it'd be nice to have list of features I have and don't
have. That way I could go get the various development packages I need
for my distro. In other words, I knew what I needed, I just assumed I
had them. Once I figured out I didn't have them, it was pretty straight
forward to install what I needed for my distro - I don't think asterisk
has to do that.

sean

sean