[asterisk-dev] SIP channel optimization (new topic)

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Sat Feb 16 03:20:26 CST 2008

>> As to the testing, I'm totally all for it. In every testing
>> scenario, as
>> we push the driver to its limits, we can profile chan_sip to see
>> where
>> it is spending most of its cpu cycles, and see if any significant
>> improvements can be made...
>
> +1.  Again, I would rather see effort in this direction instead of
> thinking
> about making it multi-threaded.  :)

Based on experience of problems with several Asterisks in production,
I don't agree with you.

We really need to make Asterisk servers that run mainly SIP to SIP
calls scale
over multiple processors. We have had several instances where Asterisk
totally blocks one CPU while the rest is idle. We don't see this if we
gateway
to zaptel or other protocols, then media becomes a major issue.

Something I need to port back from the chan_sip3 work is the
allocation and
parsing of packets that is a major pain. I simplified this in chan_sip3
so that I only allocated the packet once and limited the number of times
I looked for various frequently used headers.

/O