[asterisk-dev] Monitor Asterisk using C

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 06:35:11 CST 2008

On 8 Feb 2008, at 21:38, Russell Bryant wrote:

> Soumya Kat wrote:
>> What I would like to know is how to get information such as SIP
>> users,
>> number of SIP connections and traffic associated with those from
>> asterisk
>> using a C Code.
>
> There is actually no good way to do this inside of Asterisk right
> now.  It's
> certainly all possible ... it's just software ... but there is no
> straightforward common API to accomplish what you are looking for.
>
> --

If you run the snmp agent in asterisk, you can query this stuff with
the netsnmp
tools (snmpget). To get the specific traffic, you would need a switch/
host or router
that supported RMON.  It wouldn't be trivial, (and I wouldn't do it in
C) but all
the data is (theoretically) available from one SNMP agent or another.

Tim.