[asterisk-dev] Navigating Voice Mail

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Dec 17 09:27:46 CST 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Steve Wofford wrote:

> I know the files are located on a USB drive. How do I navigate to these
> files? This is where my basic linux skill are going to cause me issues.

If you don't have "basic Linux skills" and don't have the time or
inclination to learn them, maybe you should consider buying them -- an
employee or a consultant.

Someone with "the skills" can develop a robust and reliable solution
quicker and cheaper (if your time has value) than you can. An "oops" that
results in the occasional or complete loss of people's VM will "taint" you
and your product for a very long time.

IMO, FTP is the wrong tool. There are opportunities for race conditions
and it sounds like you are creating a solution that will be dependent on 2
boxes. Think about:

) Increased capital expense -- even if you have a "spare" Windows box you
are tying up a license and missing the opportunity to do something
appropriate with the box.

) Increased operational expense -- administration, maintenance and
electricity.

) Decreased reliability -- what happens when MS issues a patch and forces
a reboot of your box and you discover that your service did not start or
will not start. What about MTBF and all that.

) Decreased robustness -- when it fails, where do you start looking? Since
you don't have the skills, can you "look?"

I suggest you fix the problem at the source (the appliance) if at all
possible.

Thanks in advance,