[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] New application JabberReceive, implement SendText in chan_gtalk and chan_jingle

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 04:21:35 CST 2008

[...]
> I know that XEP is in "draft" status, which makes me wonder how M2M
> implementations of XMPP are being handled currently.  Without knowing
> a thread identifier or some other transactional state message, how do
> two JIDs communicate about many different simultaneous sessions?
> Putting something in the message seems like a hack that is so bad that
> it would never be done.  Any XMPP experts out there?  It does seem
> like implementations are at least considering that XEP for similar
> reasons.
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0201.html

And the thread element is even defined in the core XMPP specification
: http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#stanzas, but marked as optional.
Gajim, at least has an implementation :
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/2008-December/028705.html

My initial idea was to use a <thread> element to pass an Asterisk
channel identifier in order to match an XMPP conversation with the
channel. This would have avoided the need to search the channel list.
This element would be very useful to us, if implemented :)

[...]
> PS: We should really change all these "Jabber" terms and app names to
> "XMPP".

Oh yes, except for adresses, that remain Jabber Identifiers (JIDs) for
historical reasons.