[asterisk-dev] load balancing / failover support ideas

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Fri Dec 12 15:46:28 CST 2008

Stephen Coles schrieb:
> I need to add multiple internet lines to my asterisk setup [as my
> internet connects are slow (DSL distance problem) and I don't want to
> pay for a lease line] with load balancing between the lines - googling
> and there's no easy/cheap way to do this.  Redundancy\failover seems
> just as hard.  So I had some ideas and just wanted to share them, maybe
> some people will like them and there get work upon and find their way
> into asterisk, just be binned or maybe asterisk can do this already [if
> it can sorry].  But here goes:

> To the iax2.conf I would add:

>                 priority                                 (what order to
> use the context in)
>
>                 calls_out
> (number of call going out allow on this context - before the next group
> context is used)
>
>                 calls_total
> (total number of calls in and out allow on this context - before the
> next group context is used)
>
>                 loadbalance                                        (true
> or false - do i distribute the calls evenly between the group)
>
>                 gateway
> (what IP address to send the calls out on)

PBXs built *on top* of Asterisk (like Gemeinschaft[1]) can already
do that (for SIP). Gemeinschaft allows you to define gateways (SIP
accounts, Zap ports, mISDN ports) and group them to gateway groups
(e.g. 4 PRI spans could form a group). The outbound routing is a
table of patterns (full PCRE), (dow., time from/to, ...) and a
priority list of gateway groups (primary, fallback, ...).

This branch of the thread should be continued on asterisk-users.

[1] http://www.amooma.de/gemeinschaft/
    Sorry - don't know any other routing modules that are more
    powerful.  :-)

   Philipp Kempgen

--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com