[asterisk-dev] Source Code Questions

Steven S. Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Dec 11 07:18:09 CST 2008

----- "Steve Wofford" <SW at uctrlit.com> wrote:

> Two part question.
>
> We have a Linksys/Cisco SPA400 which is an Asterisk box.
>
> 1.       How can I find the version? I have the source code
> downloaded.

If you don't know he version, how did you download the source code?

I doubt it is using asterisk itself. If it was, Linksys would be
required to make their version of the running code available to you.

At best, I am expecting you have firmware. Firmware is compiled
source code. You will not get much usefulness out of looking at the
firmware if you are asking the level of questions you are here. You
would already know these things.

> 2.       I only have windows no Linux. What would be the best IDE to
> use
> to review the files. I have Visual Studio, but not sure about if this
> will do the job.

Visual Studio would only be helpful if you had code written for the
windows platform. There are plenty of other free IDEs out there.

For the short term, you should just use some text editor to look at the
code. notepad, wordpad, or such will display it. If you are looking at
the firmware, it will look like a bunch of garbage thrown around.

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com