[asterisk-dev] Show Channels Concise Deprecation in 1.6

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Tue Dec 9 09:35:07 CST 2008

Atis Lezdins escribió:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Johansson Olle E <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>
>> 4 dec 2008 kl. 21.16 skrev Matt Riddell:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm just wanting to check up on a deprecation for the manager.
>>>
>>> Action: Command
>>> Command: Show Channels Concise
>>>
>>> We use this pretty extensively to get a snapshot of where an Asterisk
>>> server is at.  Is there any way this could not be removed or does
>>> anyone
>>> have a suggestion as to a replacement?
>>>
>>> If there is a suitable replacement then I guess this should have
>>> been a
>>> users post, but if not it's kinda to Russell et al requesting that the
>>> deprecated status be removed.
>>>
>>> If people are dead set on it being removed would anyone have any
>>> objection to me writing a manager command which provides this
>>> information, and if not, any preferences as to response format?
>>>
>> Getting the information you need in manager should never depend
>> on CLI commands, as these are made only for the user on the console.
>> They often strip data.
>>
>> Therefore we decided to not implement any more "concise" commands,
>> deprecate the old and replace them with manager commands.
>>
>> Regardless of the status of the deprecation, I would recommend that
>> you help us with the missing manager commands so that we can
>> build better and more robust client apps using AMI.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> /O
>>

> Hi,
>
> If you need to see channel list often, and there are lot of clients
> requesting the same over-and-over, i could suggest trying out this
> patch
>
> http://ftp.iq-labs.net/realtime_channels/asterisk_realtime_channels-1.4.19.patch
>
> Currently i have it for 1.4 version, but if you're interested i could
> scrape it out also from my 1.6-patchset.
>
> It would keep up-to-date list of channels in database - a little
> additional load upon creating/manipulating/destroying channel, however
> it unloads from tons of requests to Asterisk. Also implementing this
> did relieved us from deadlocks/crashes when "show channels concise"
> tried to access locked channel, or one with broken pointer.
>
> This probably is never going to Asterisk, as similar queue status
> patch got rejected, but i'm keeping it up for my own use :)
>
> Regards,
> Atis

I think that the Realtime Channels (status) is a great functionality,
and so the rejected "Queue Status Realtime". I would like to take a look
on the rejected one, do you have the bug ID? And why it got rejected?
And if they got rejected what is the best way to take out realtime
status data of what is happening inside asterisk as an alternative to
listening to manager events which I think is somewhat complicated to handle?

I usually prefer having the realtime status data of the calls/queues on
a database for easy reporting and visualizing. I already had a
parser/database updater for the "core show channels concise" command
which works fine if there are not deadlocks on asterisk as you
pointed it. As I solved the deadlock problem that I had, the command put
no problems, but I prefer your Realtime approach.

Finally, do you have a small howto on configuring the database tables
and asterisk configuration files? It would be very useful to use your
patches.

Any comments welcome.

--
Ing. Miguel Molina