[asterisk-dev] Show Channels Concise Deprecation in 1.6

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Dec 4 14:22:35 CST 2008

Matt Riddell wrote:
> I'm just wanting to check up on a deprecation for the manager.
>
> Action: Command
> Command: Show Channels Concise
>
> We use this pretty extensively to get a snapshot of where an Asterisk
> server is at.  Is there any way this could not be removed or does anyone
> have a suggestion as to a replacement?
>
> If there is a suitable replacement then I guess this should have been a
> users post, but if not it's kinda to Russell et al requesting that the
> deprecated status be removed.
>
> If people are dead set on it being removed would anyone have any
> objection to me writing a manager command which provides this
> information, and if not, any preferences as to response format?

We've had a number of discussions about our prior practices of removing
deprecated functionality.  We had pretty much decided that we're going
to avoid removing any existing functionality unless we really have to
for some reason, for the sake of backwards compatibility.

The documentation should be updated to point out the method that is
considered the "right" way to get this information.  We should also
somehow better communicate our updated stance on dealing with things
considered "deprecated" in Asterisk interfaces (dialplan, manager, agi,
etc.).

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer