[asterisk-dev] Off the wall idea - transmit wideband G722 or Speex over ISDN

asterisk at ntplx.net asterisk at ntplx.net
Wed Aug 27 06:38:19 CDT 2008

G.722 is used as an ISDN codec. It is (or was) used a lot in remote
radio broadcasts and then they mostly moved to MPEG (MP3) over ISDN.

The codec used could be sent in the bearer capability field of
the Q.931 call setup message. There are voice/data types but
the only codecs defined for voice/speech are G.711A and G.711u.

I have seen a few places where there has been an update to the
types to allow G.722/G.725 as an additional speech codec type.

You can see the info at:
http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=29737&seqNum=3

I looks like additional information was added to the call
setup in a GTD message which includes more detailed codec settings.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ftgtdisd.html

BUT, if you look at libpri, you'll see G.722 is already defined
as a PRI Layer 1 type....
http://svn.digium.com/svn/libpri/branches/1.4/