[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.4 with cdr_tds and FreeTDS 0.82

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Aug 18 09:25:11 CDT 2008

Sean Bright wrote:
> The existing implementation of cdr_tds in Asterisk 1.4 uses libtds,
> which is part of the FreeTDS package.  libtds has always been considered
> a non-stable API, and developers were encouraged to write their
> applications against either the db-lib or ct-lib front end.
>
> With the release of FreeTDS 0.82, libtds is no longer installed by
> default, which results in Asterisk's build system not being able to find
> FreeTDS and therefore not build the cdr_tds module.
>
> I know that this is not technically a bug in Asterisk, but considering
> that we still have users installing the 1.2 series of Asterisk (at their
> own peril) I am concerned that users will run into this problem with the
> 1.4 series for, well, a years.
>
> While I would be satisfied simply documenting that Asterisk 1.4 will not
> work with versions of FreeTDS newer than 0.64, the other option is to
> move the changes made in trunk (changing cdr_tds to use db-lib) into the
> 1.4 branch, even though we are feature frozen.  Note that there is no
> behavior change in the trunk version, we simply changed which API we
> were coding against.
>
> Thoughts?

What about including the new module from trunk as an alternative that
isn't enabled by default?  That way, you don't risk breaking anything
that is working just fine with the existing module.  Then, just include
a blurb in UPGRADE.txt and perhaps the sample config file about it.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer