[asterisk-dev] [policy] Bug Tracker Workflow Discussion

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Aug 11 15:47:34 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 10:47:25PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Monday 11 August 2008 09:07:26 Leif Madsen wrote:
> > 3) The next step is to determine whether the report is about a bug or a
> > submission of a new feature:
> >
> >       a) BUG: A bug should be moved into the status 'acknowledged'. The
> > bug may also be assigned to a developer for the creation of the initial
> > patch, or review of the issue. Once a patch has been created for the
> > issue and attached, the issue can then be moved to the 'confirmed'
> > status. At this point initial code review and discussion about the patch
> > will take place. Once an adequate amount of support for the
> > implementation of the patch is acquired, then the bug can be moved to
> > the 'ready for testing' status for wider testing by the community. After
> > the testing phase is complete and it appears the issue is resolved, the
> > patch can be committed by a developer and closed.
> >
> >       b) FEATURE: As new features should be filed with a patch, it can
> > be immediately moved to the 'confirmed' status, making it ready for
> > basic formatting and code review. From there any changes to style or
> > feel of the patch based on feedback from the community can be discussed,
> > and changes to the patch made. It can then be moved forward to the
> > 'ready for testing' status. Once the feature has been merged, or a
> > decision has been made that it will not be merged, the issue should be
> > taken to 'closed' with the appropriate resolution.[Note2]
>
> I'd like to note that the statuses as noted here are in fact the reverse of
> the previous policy, and I'd like to suggest that we continue the previous
> policy, that features are acknowledged and bugs are confirmed.

+1

How, precisely, could you "confirm" a feature request?  You *can*, on
the other hand, confirm that something is a bug: not everything is a
bug.   If it's documented, then it's either a feature request to
*change* the behavior, or merely a complaint that won't accomplish
anything.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.