[asterisk-dev] Strange DTMF received on a incoming call

Fernando Urzedo Fernando.Urzedo at locaweb.com.br
Mon Aug 11 11:20:34 CDT 2008

Hi all,

We have a Asterisk 1.4.21.2 box conected to several VoiP trunks and E1
links (through Mediant 1000 gateways), and the calls are sent to SIP
peers. Sometimes, during incoming calls, our users are able to hear some
beeps similar to DTMF digits. See examples below (they are portuguese
conversation, but you can hear the sounds):

http://www.katizak.locaweb.com.br/asterisk/beep.mp3
http://www.katizak.locaweb.com.br/asterisk/beep2.mp3
http://www.katizak.locaweb.com.br/asterisk/beep3.mp3
http://www.katizak.locaweb.com.br/asterisk/beep4.mp3

On the other side of the conversation, we are pretty sure they are not
pressing any button in their phones.

Do you guys have any guess about where these sounds are coming from? Is
there any configuration that can prevent the SIP peers from receiving
DTMF digits, while they still can send DTMF outside?

Thanks for any help you may provide!