[asterisk-dev] Two issues with Asterisk 1.4

Fernando Urzedo Fernando.Urzedo at locaweb.com.br
Sun Aug 3 10:43:55 CDT 2008

Hi,

For the past two years I was using Asterisk 1.2.19. This week I have
upgraded it to 1.4.21.2 and after that I was not able to solve two
issues:

- I always run Asterisk as a Linux user other than "root", with less
privileges (for security reasons). When I upgraded Asterisk to version
1.4, it was not sending the voicemail alerts anymore. We figured out
that, if Asterisk is executed as a root process, the emails are sent...
On the other hand, if we execute Asterisk as another user (with less
priorities), the emails are not sent anymore. My question is whether
only "root" can be used to start Asterisk as of version 1.4 or we are
missing some authorization that needs to be granted to this other user
in order to be able to send the emails;

- In Asterisk 1.2.19, I was able to perform attended transfers (NOT
using the Asterisk builtin atxfer) using both EyeBeam 1.1 3014w stamp
26703 and Polycom hardphones. But, After the upgrade, only Polycom
phones can do it. The scenario (with eyebeam) is: I call someone using
line 1, then I call another extension using line 2, press XFER button
and line 1 button. When I do that, Asterisk replies with a strange
message "Failed SIP Transfer to non-existing extension 001130799781 in
context 10.outgoing_interno_nomes", in which we can see the reason for
the error: context 10.outgoing_interno_nomes is not supposed to handle
this call! When I try to transfer using Polycom phone, it goes to the
correct context and the transfer is finished correctly (it looks for the
correct context). I can provide the SIP debug, if you need...

Thanks in advance!