[asterisk-dev] Same channel name at the same time?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Apr 21 10:05:34 CDT 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008 09:24, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 17:17 +0800, Ma Zhiyong wrote:
> >    So I'm wondering if there are same channel names in different
> > channels at the same time? That is, is it possible that two channels
> > of two active calls have same name ?
>
> As far as I know, this isn't possible if you're doing everything on a
> single box.  Obviously if you're combining records from more than one
> box then you have to be more careful...

Correct, the unique identifier at the end of the channel name is actually
the address in memory where the channel structure is stored.  So there
cannot be two channels concurrently with the same name EVER.  However,
it is certainly possible to have two different calls where the channel name is
the same, because the same chunk of memory is used for a different
instance of a channel structure, but they will not overlap in time.

--
Tilghman