[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits at lists.digium.com: [svn-commits] dhubbard: branch 1.4 r112689 - /branches/1.4/main/asterisk.c]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Apr 7 20:30:20 CDT 2008

Steve Edwards wrote:

> Is a "green" T1 required before a Zaptel card will serve as a timing
> source? I've been putting cards in boxes that will never even have T1s
> connected based on advice from this list. Have I been mis-informed?

No, that should *not* be necessary. All that should be required for
Zaptel to provide timing to Asterisk is for *any* span that can provide
timing to do so. If the T1/E1 card drivers do not provide timing off
their internal clock when their spans are in alarm, I would consider
that to be a bug.

It is *not* a bug that an unconfigured card does not provide timing, but
when the card has been configured it should *always* provide timing,
even with no spans plugged in. Plugging in spans may cause the timing
source to change, but this is already true for multi-span cards with the
spans set to different 'timing source' priorities.

John Todd: if the drivers behave the way I just described, would that
ease your concerns about Asterisk starting up in the way it has been
changed? The goal was for it to keep Asterisk from starting on systems
that were improperly configured, not those that just happen to be unable
to find any functional digital spans at that moment.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies