[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits at lists.digium.com: [svn-commits] dhubbard: branch 1.4 r112689 - /branches/1.4/main/asterisk.c]

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Mon Apr 7 16:44:31 CDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 9:09 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Asterisk does provide an extensive lgging facility. Have you niticed
> where that code is added? right after initializing the logger, in
> order
> to get those messages logged.
>
> With th default configuration of Asterisk, /var/log/asterisk/
> messages is
> a handy tool for debugging error.
>
> On my system the mailer has a separate mail.log, mail.warn and
> mail.err
> log files. You can easily do the same with asterisk with trivial
> logger.conf config lines:
>
> # the default:
> messages => error,warning,notice
>
> # Add those:
> warn    => error,warning
> err     => error

Yes, but unless I am missing something, none of those logging
facilities goes to the startup console or the "linux text
console" (i.e. the place messages like "/dev/hda I/O error" to spat
out to).  When I run 'service asterisk start' I get no indication that
massive parts of my configuration may not work.  I could have a
complete failure in my SIP, IAX and Zaptel (such as kernel modules not
they can't dial.

The asterisk startup script happily reports "[SUCCESS]" (or other
message depending on distro) and you never see a message unless you go
look at the log file.  Right now I am sure you could do it via syslog,
but I have a hard enough time figuring out "normal" syslog usage.  And
I don't want my console spammed every time Asterisk has an "error",
just at startup.

> One might say that some of Asterisk's error messages are mis-labeled.
> I'm sure that after using Asterisk with such a log file you'll be able
> to file a number of useful bug reports.

I would agree with that.  I find it highly annoying that Asterisk
considers the fact that I did not turn off the meetme module at
compile time and do not have a meetme.conf configuration file it's
highest error code.  I don't suppose there would be an easy way to
"map" log messages to a different error-code level so I can elevate
certain error messages and de-elevate others without keeping a custom
patch around?

> The console is intended for recieving immediate information. Not
> after-the-fact log messages. This is also why console messages have no
> time-stamp by default (this saves in size and makes the message mor
> readable). You normaly "see" the timing, anyway.

Perhaps our terminology is not matching up.  When I was referring to
(startup) console in my previous message I was talking about the /dev/
pts/1 type console, not the asterisk logging console. The /dev/pts/1
console is where I would like to see error messages during startup so
that when I type 'service asterisk start' I will immediately see that
there were errors I need to look into.

>               Tzafrir Cohen

Daniel