[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits at lists.digium.com: [svn-commits] dhubbard: branch 1.4 r112689 - /branches/1.4/main/asterisk.c]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Apr 4 05:30:00 CDT 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> A. Zaptel started, but module provideing the ting hasn't yet (either
> ztdummy, or ztcfg was not run for a different module). This is indeed a
> configuration error. But would be mostly harmless till now.
>
> B. Timing from a E1/T1 card that is not in sync but is listed to give
> timing. It should be possible for me to restart Asterisk when the cable
> to the card is disconnected or when the telco's side is misconfigured.

As you can see from the many threads on asterisk-users where lack of an
available timing source causes problems that the users can't reasonably
debug (many of those threads you even help the users in, thanks!), I
think we need to err on the side of not attempting to run Asterisk when
the timing source is not operating but we've been told to use it.

I would support a command line option to skip this check, if the user
wants to specify it so that they can run Asterisk for some other
(non-normal usage) purpose since they believe they know what they are doing.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies