[asterisk-dev] adjusting the playback speed of voicemail messages.

Michael Grigoni michael.grigoni at cybertheque.org
Thu Apr 3 15:36:21 CDT 2008

Steven S. Critchfield wrote:

> ----- "Michael Grigoni" <michael.grigoni at cybertheque.org> wrote:
>
>>John Todd wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>

>>This thread got me to do a quick search for implementations of
>>variable speech control (hopefully public domain or open source)
>>but not much is out there.  U.S. Patent filing 4,864,620 contains
>>MS C 4.0 code for an implementation that should be testable on
>>a DOS machine.
>

> I do suggest you go look at what kind of damages can be awarded now
> that you have found a patent and I am assuming due to the code
> version referenced, it is a still valid patent.

<snip>

More than 17 yrs since filing (any renewal will need to be investigated
however).  I posted the reference mainly since the application
references prior art; the patent involves a method to speed
conversion, not the technology.

The author implemented his variation on a TMS320 (version not named);
I didn't check the TI website for current sample code however.

VSC was originally announced in Electronics Magazine around 1973, the
particular issue contained a phonograph record narrated by a famous
actor demonstrating the quality of speech after conversion.

Michael