[asterisk-dev] MMX in Zaptel

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Sat Sep 22 12:33:17 CDT 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Reminder: zconfig.h includes a defina called CONFIG_ZAPTEL_MMX,
> undefined by default, to enable/disable MMX support in Zaptel. It also
> warns of problems with various CPUs.
>
> See also the previous thread:
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2007-August/029221.html
>
> I have just commited a change to the kernel 2.6 Makefile to enable this
> if the CPU supports MMX:
> http://svn.digium.com/view/zaptel?view=rev&revision=3076
> This is disabled by default. You need to explicitly edit that file or
> something of the sort of:
>
>   ZAPTEL_MMX_AUTO=yes make
>
> to enable it. I do plan to enable it by default in the following release
> (1.4.7 ).

Many have already replied to this thread giving similar sentiments.
That code is potentially broken and definitely unreliable.  Do not
enable it by default.  If you want to work on it to improve it, do so,
but until there is a LOT of positive feedback, I don't want to see it
enabled by default.

> The planed changes for that release (1.4.7 . Recall that 1.4.6 is not
> yet released) -
> 1. Test MMX support on various systems
> 2. Enable the MMX support by default.
> 3. Remove all the echo cancellers except MG2 (and JPAH, for testing).
>    Any need to keep KB1? It's dead code nobody uses.

I don't see any problem with removing the others.  They are old and
probably should not be used.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Software/Firmware Engineer