[asterisk-dev] Thoughts on Asterisk release management

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Sep 20 10:53:22 CDT 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Theoretically it is feature frozen. But in practice I hear too many
> reports of behaviour changes between minor versions. Hence an upgrade
> there might be risky as well.

Well it is certainly feature frozen in that we don't introduce new features.  I
certainly regret unintentional behavior changes, and hopefully this is something
we can continue to improve upon, but I don't this is a unique problem to us, but
more of a common issue to tackle in software development in general.

>>        Then, eventually, 1.2 would be officially deprecated, 1.4 would move to
>>        security maintenance, 1.5 would become 1.6, and we would continue making
>>        incremental releases with new features labeled as 1.7 ...
>
> This is surely great for development. The problem is: is this good for
> users who don't have the latest and greatest anymore?

Well, we have to end of life releases at some point.  I think we have been more
than reasonable with how long we have maintained releases over the past few years.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer