[asterisk-dev] Thoughts on Asterisk release management

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 20 07:15:59 CDT 2007

Hi Russel,

The current development/release system seems revolutionary rather then
evolutionary. Instead of the revolutionary dev model with significant
code changes and distant releases I would like the Asterisk dev model to
move to a more evolutionary model with more incremental and less
invasive code changes per (sub-)release and where releases are made way
more often than today. Basically I would like the Asterisk dev model to
mimic the Linux kernel dev model with 2 month release intervals and
bi-weekly (or more often) sub-releases so folks can test. Because of the
much shorter cycle of 2 months and much shorter freeze, new features
that missed the commit window would be available in the code repo the
day after a release when the commit window is open again.

Rereading your post it seems that your thoughts under item #2 are very
similar so in that case +1 and thanks for the open discussion :)

Regards,
Patrick