[asterisk-dev] AST_FRAME_DIGITAL

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Tue Sep 18 11:49:59 CDT 2007

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Thus, to summarize:
>
> I see two options for adding digital/3G video types to Asterisk:
>
> 1. AST_FORMAT_H223. This will only be used if the incoming call is
> digital AND signals H.223&H.245.
>
> + with this option it is for sure that the digital call is a 3G video call
> - there is no standardized way to forward this to other Asterisk server
> - does not help us handling other non-3G-video calls
>
> 2. AST_FORMAT_CLEARMODE. This will be used for any incoming digital
> call. Thus, from the frametype it is not deriveable which application is
> inside the CLEARMODE.
>
> + by adding CLEARMODE to rtp.c we have a standard conform way to forward
> digital calls to other Asterisk servers
> + more generic and flexible
> - requires a little bit more dialplan logic to detect 3G video calls
>
> Thus, is there a chance to get AST_FORMAT_CLEARMODE into Asterisk (which
> I would prefer instead of AST_FORMAT_H223)?

Although it probably sounds very attractive, functionally this is the
same thing as the proposal to use AST_FRAME_DIGITAL as an opaque
container.  So if you were using AST_FORMAT_CLEARMODE, you are not going
to be able to tell the other end of the IAX connection about what it is
terminating, so if it needs to bridge the call to a non ISDN endpoint
(such as a videophone) this will not be possible.  AST_FORMAT_CLEARMODE
is not the answer, at least for the H.223 and H.245 data problem that we
are discussing.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Software/Firmware Engineer