[asterisk-dev] how to generate periodic wakeup signals for a channel driver ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Mon Sep 17 15:22:10 CDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:10:47PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2007 16:03:00 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > various video sources that I am using
> > (webcam using the 'gspca' driver, or X11 grabber) do not support
> > a select()/poll() interface
>
> Out of curiosity, what do they support instead?

gspca probably relies on some kind of mmap+ioctl feature for
synchronization, because mmap is the favourite Video4Linux API.

As for the x11 grabber, it is a software thing that fetches parts
of your X display, so in principle you could select() on the file
descriptor connecting to your X server, but there is so much
traffic there that in practice i doubt it would be efficient
or compact.

	cheers
	luigi