[asterisk-dev] proper way to signal user information layer 1 (ISDN)

critch critch at basesys.com
Fri Sep 14 09:47:17 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 15:24 +0200, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In case of digital ISDN calls I want to signal the ISDN user information
> layer 1 values between the dialplan (and maybe some apps) and the ISDN
> channel driver.

I'll show some ignorance and some assumptions here.

What all user information are you interested in setting up or is
available to be changed?

If you are just looking for a way to set up the H223 information, then I
suggest you go back to the drawing board with respect to the latest
suggestions.

For the H223 information, if the channel driver knows it is handling
H223 data, it should either request translation to a format it can
handle, or be able to set up the H223 call itself.

This eliminates the dialplan designer from needing to get involved with
the whole video problem.

I would hate to have to design tests into the dialplan to determine the
call type and branch from there. The idea of me having a phone on my
desk capable of handling the 3g calls or regular calls and having to
hand out either conditional extensions based on the call type coming in
or test the stream from the dialplan would be just plain wrong. Handing
out a single extension that could just bridge the call regardless of
call type and let the underlying magic of asterisk make sure the call is
compatible is the right way to do things.
--
critch <critch at basesys.com>