[asterisk-dev] AST_FRAME_DIGITAL

Sergio Garcia sergio.garcia at fontventa.com
Thu Sep 13 12:33:31 CDT 2007

From: Tim Panton <thp at westhawk.co.uk>
Date:  Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:55:54 +0100

>On 13 Sep 2007, at 16:46, Sergio Garcia wrote:

>> From: Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com>
>> Date:  Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:53:14 -0500

>>> In that case, you should not queue the frame to Asterisk.
>>> Period.  If you are
>>> telling me that Asterisk should not know anything about the
>>> contents, then
>>> it will not handle that frame for any reason whatsoever.
>>
>> Sorry, to be rude.. but how the f*ck are you going to transfer the
>> frame if you
>> don't queue it??? Does asterisk allows native bridging between
>> different channels??
>
>Reinvite? - send the RTP stream from endpoint to endpoint ?

Reinvite in isdn, good..

>>> I don't think, however, that that is what you want.  You want,
>>> essentially,
>>> Asterisk to become a carrier of proprietary information that it
>>> just blindly
>>> passes on to whatever is on the other side.  That does not jibe
>>> with the
>>> model of ANY of the existing channel drivers in Asterisk today.
>>> EVERYTHING
>>> must know _what_ it is that it is carrying, in order to properly
>>> queue it to
>>> the other side.  We don't support unknown codecs, we don't support
>>> unknown
>>> video types, and we certainly do not support "here's this packet
>>> of unknown
>>> information, just pass it blindly".
>>>
>>> Asterisk is an intelligent application, and you're trying to treat
>>> it like a
>>> dumb pipe.
>>
>> That's the problem, core pbx asterisk should be DUMB, the
>> endopoints should know what to
>> do with the formats. It's something silly to have to patch asterisk
>> to add a new
>> codec or just a video format!!!
>
>No it isn't. If you want a dumb engine, use something like SER.
>Asterisk's use-case is where you want features - voicemail, IVR,
>meetme, monitoring
>or joining incompatible technologies eg: chan_skinny->chan_bluetooth
>without
>batting an eyelid.

I just want an media agnostic core, .i.e. dumb in a way it doens't need
to know the format frame. I think that it was already explained in the
devcon link you sent yesterday.. I'll try to expose what i think in a later
mail so you can see that my intention is not really starting a flame war but
evolving asteirsk to handle better different multimedia escenarios.

Best reagards
Sergio