[asterisk-dev] AST_FRAME_DIGITAL

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Sep 13 07:41:09 CDT 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 00:57:55 Benny Amorsen wrote:

> RB> I'm not sure how many ways I can say this. The stream you're
> RB> dealing with is _voice_ and _video_, both of which have explicit
> RB> frame types in Asterisk. The stream should be decoded and passed
> RB> into Asterisk using this method. There are good reasons for it
> RB> being this way.
>
> How about defining an AST_FRAME_H324M? Then you would need to add
> transcodings to the other frame types, but at least you would only
> need to define the transcoding once, not in every channel driver.
>
> Is it possible to transcode between framing types in asterisk?

No, we cannot translate between frame types, which is why it is important
for the channel drivers to generate the correct frame types in the first
place.  However, we can transcode between different frame subtypes, which
is why it is important to get the message content into the right frame type
(video or voice) in the first place.

--
Tilghman