[asterisk-dev] Announce: Integrating Asterisk with Exchange

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Tue Sep 11 17:35:47 CDT 2007

Hello,

I'm from OpenChange, the native-protocols Exchange replacement project at
http://openchange.org. We have a tool that Asterisk can use right now, or using
our tools as a model you can call our libraries yourselves.

The tool you can start with immediately is openchangeclient, which can do from
the commandline i(for example, in an AGI script) whatever Outlook can do in
terms of atomic functions:

   * send mail, optionally with attachments. Such as wav files.

   * fetch contents of an inbox, optionally just for the purposes of
     determining if certain contents are present.

   * do the above only for other object types: Appointment, Contact, Task,
     Note. So in response to a voice prompt, Asterisk can book an appointment (or
     list appointments, go Festival!) You have a choice of FREE, TENTATIVE, BUSY or
     OUTOFOFFICE.

   * Wait for notification of new mail, then fire the above.

With these primitives alone Asterisk can deliver the useful features of
Microsoft Unified Messaging. There are more utilities (including some
administrative functions) and a library you can use to do things we haven't
thought of.

Now we have the basic functionality working in libmapi we are heading towards a
release. However for that we need testing, and users, which is why I'm on
asterisk-devel :-)

Feedback wanted! There's the openchange-devel mailing list, the wiki, and irc.
We have been wondering about attending the developers conference in Scotsdale,
not sure how useful that would be.

Thanks,

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org

PS Not sure what happened to the first copy of this I sent to the list a
couple of days ago! Sorry for any dups.