[asterisk-dev] A problem with Hash Tables...

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Sat Sep 8 16:35:46 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 00:04 -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 09:53:39PM -0600, Steve Murphy wrote:
> > Luigi--
> >
> > I have a big Hash Table problem, and your ast_obj2 is part of it! ;)
> > You see, I've developed a competing Hash table implementation (I call
> > them hashtabs), and now I have to decide whether to scrap mine, merge
> > the neat stuff in mine into yours, or vice-versa, or let the two coexist
> > peaceably.
> > So, perhaps you can help me with this baffling situation!
>
> Hi,
> first of all, do you have a pointer to your hashtab code (is it in
> the datastructs branch ?), and especially to the performance test
> code where astobj2 is much slower, so we can see where is the
> performance problem).

see team/murf/datastructs; I've checked in my utils/hashtest2.c file;
right at the moment it's crashing, but it worked fine yesterday. The
utils/Makefile is made to compile hashtest2 with everything else.
Something must have changed... the crash I see is during the traversal,
I'm unref'ing a pointer as I'm about to iterate again when the crash
occurs.

It could easily be that I have the wrong version of astobj2 or
something. See if you have the same problem...

> [...]
>
> > Mine is noticeably faster in some situations. For a test set of 10
> > independent threads, each doing 100,000 random operations on the hashtab
> > (which slowly builds from 0 to ~220K objects), mine takes about 2.17
> > sec, and ast_obj2 takes about 3.32 sec. With a 1% mix of complete
> > traversals, mine goes to 52 secs, and ast_obj2 takes about 15 minutes. I
>
> and certainly open to suggestions on how to implement resizable containers
> (considering the impact this operation may have on iterators).
>
> 	cheers
> 	luigi
>
> [1] a note about iterators (which is probably worth adding to the
>     source code, as it is tricky to understand in some parts)
>
> In astobj2, we designed iterators so they can be manipulated without
> holding any lock on the container or creating a refcount to it.
> The rule of the game are that in order to create an iterator you
> need a reference to a container, but other than that you can dispose
> of the iterator without telling anyone; and that when ao2_iterator_next()
> returns an object, it also gives you a refcount to the object.
>
> In order to implement this, iterators must be very careful in playing
> with pointers. They can store a pointer to the container as it will not
> disappear as long as we keep a reference to it. They can store a pointer
> to the current object, _but_ this must be protected by a "container version"
> field to make sure that we reference it only if we are 100% sure that
> the pointer is still valid. Furthermore, this requires locking/unlocking
> the cointaner every time we iterate on it.
>
> When the current object is removed from the container (and as far
> as i can tell, this is a case that your code is unable to handle),
> astobj2 cannot follow pointers anymore, and can only scan the list
> in the current bucket (or the full list, if we decide to implement
> one) to find which element was next in the container. This is where
> the 'object_id' comes handy. This is an expensive operation, hopefully
> an infrequent one (because this sort of operation can be done more
> efficiently using ao2_callback()), but having a double linked
> list is of no help here - what we would need to reduce complexity
> would be a tree where, given an object_id, we can find in O(log N)
> time the next object.
>
> An alternatives to make iterators more efficient after a deletion
> of the current object would be to give iterators a refcount to the
> current bucket entry, so even if the object is deleted from the
> container, the bucket entry remains alive. But this
> would require iterators to be explicitly released.
> I am surely interested in evaluating this approach if it can be
> beneficial in terms of performance - it still requires
> to lock/unlock the container on each ao2_iterator_next(),
> but removes the need for a list traversal in case the current
> object is deleted, and perhaps removes the need for the
> 'object_id' aka 'version' field in the iterator.

Many thanks for the info. Truly, the "devil is in the details"... Let's
see what can be done!

murf

--
Steve Murphy