[asterisk-dev] gcc bug with zero-sized arrays and struct initializers.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Oct 30 08:42:45 CDT 2007

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> On the other hand, you wouldn't expect the compiler to fail so badly.

I really do not understand this comment at all. First, all software has
bugs, compilers included. The maintainers of those packages then fix the
bugs and make new releases.

GCC 2.95.3 was released over six years ago. Every version of GCC 3.x and
4.x is able to handle this construct, and they should be, since it is
completely valid C.

If you want to come up with macros that can be used in exactly the same
way that the current ones are, don't require any additional storage and
aren't more difficult to maintain, then feel free to contribute them.
However, requiring developers to change the way they use the macros, the
application to use more memory or increase our maintenance burden, all
to support a six year old compiler with dozens of known bugs, seems like
a fruitless pursuit.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies