[asterisk-dev] application errors

Dmitry Andrianov dimas at dataart.com
Mon Oct 29 19:09:08 CDT 2007

Hello.

I tried asking on IRC but it looks like nobody was available at the
moment.

Need an advice or something regarding the issue 10815 -
SendFAX/ReceiveFAX applications. Much like as their ancestors
(txfax/rxfax), these applications return -1 in case of any problem with
the channel. As I understand negative result immediately aborts dialplan
execution. However, people are asking to add FAXSTATUS channel variable
set by the application which will indicate if transmission was
successful or not. But again, in case of any error, application returns
-1 so there is no sense in setting any variable because no one will be
able to review it.

At the same time I understand people who may want to know if fax was
sent or not. The only way to satisfy them I see is to ALWAYS return zero
from the application to let dialplan execute (and setting FAXSTATUS with
something indicating error). The problem is that I haven't seen any
application in the Asterisk which returns zero always - even in the case
of channel hangup etc, reporting failures by means of channel variables.
So creation of such application can be considered a bad practice.

So the question is - what is the best (or recommended) approach here?

Thanks.