[asterisk-dev] dialplan sanity and what to call extensions.conf's format?

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Thu Oct 25 15:07:55 CDT 2007

Steve Murphy wrote:

>               Keep your @$!%!@ data out of your dialplan!!!
>
> How can you tell you are violating this rule?

>    b. You have to reload extensions.conf (or whatever) whenever you
> add/sub/mod
>       an extension. If you are modding the logical flow (program), in a
> small
>       situation, then, OK, that'll do. For instance, in my home setup,
> if I have
>       to mod an extension, somehow, the entire balance of the PBX has
> changed,
>       and I need to review the program in its entirety.
>       But, if you are storing all the data about who/what are associated
> with
>       extensions, maybe you need to take a different approach...
> especially
>       when you find yourself making daily/hourly changes to the
>       extensions.conf/ael file....

What about hints?

> Does this make sense?

Definitely.

> 2. There is NO NAME FOR THE FORMAT IN extensions.conf!!!!!

> So, if y'all don't mind, I'd like to name the darn format something easy
> to say, and elevate extensions.conf to a language... with a NAME! But
> what would be a good name for this language?
[...]

That's not how names are established. I don't think you would
have great success with a new name for what is known as the
"extensions.conf" format.

Isn't it somehow dead anyway (in favor of AEL)?
I don't use it for anything but auto-generated IVRs.

Regards,
  Philipp Kempgen

--
amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied - http://www.amooma.de
    Let's use IT to solve problems and not to create new ones.

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer
Handelsregister: Neuwied B 14998