[asterisk-dev] RFT: Expanded DNS SRV handling in Asterisk 1.4

Olle E Johansson olle at voop.com
Thu Oct 25 02:59:18 CDT 2007

I am afraid that we're going to sacrifice the "multiprotocol" aspect
of Asterisk
if we put DNS support in the dial plan. You have to be able to say

"call this URI, use these SIP servers for the call, time out a
transaction with this time"

Which is a very SIP-specific thing to do. We will have to implement a
sip-dial() function
in the dialplan with these specific arguments to get it right and let
other people
use the multiprotocol dial as before.

And doing this just because some people have broken SRV records
doesn't really
indicate to me a good reason to have a broken SRV implementation in
Asterisk.
I like the comparision to broken MX records. If they don't want to
receive calls
and don't listen when you mail their sipmaster, well then. It's like
forgetting
to configure your MSN/DIDs when configuring ISDN. Broken.

Kevin's code is a very good first step. Now we need to fix the SIP
channel so that
we cache these records, stay on the choosen record until it breaks,
then pick the
next one until that breaks and so on.

I just wish Kevin's airplanes got delayed so he could focus more on
coding...
He he he. Sorry Kevin.

/O