[asterisk-dev] RFT: Expanded DNS SRV handling in Asterisk 1.4

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:36:58 CDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> I have just made an attempt to improve the DNS SRV record handling in
> Asterisk 1.4, so that it will now sort the received answers by priority
> (but not weight... yet) and choose one of the lowest-priority answers.
>
> I would like some assistance from the community in getting this tested,
> and we also need some feedback on whether this should actually get
> merged into Asterisk 1.4 or not. It could be classified as either a
> bugfix (since we don't implement SRV record handling properly) or as an
> enhancement (since it is at least partially usable now).
>
> The changes are in
> http://svn.digium.com/asterisk/team/kpfleming/SRV-priority-handling. I
> wrote this code sitting in the speaker prep room at Interop New York, so
> right now all I know is that it compiles and looks correct... I have not
> yet tested it at all :-)
>
> --
> Kevin P. Fleming
> Director of Software Technologies
> Digium, Inc. - "The Genuine Asterisk Experience" (TM)

Kevin,

  This sounds great.  Thanks!  Hopefully SRV will be more usable now.

  Does chan_sip still not use DNS Manager?  While I am glad that
chan_sip will have better support for SRV I am worried that the
overall DNS support in chan_sip still isn't that great...

  I'll test this in the next couple of days and reply back.

  Thanks again!

--
Kristian Kielhofner