[asterisk-dev] Asterisk commit stats: unscientific glance at activity

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Oct 24 00:53:30 CDT 2007

I went through all of the SVN logs of the last year (2006/10/23) and
did a quick, very unscientific examination of the volumes of commits
to the core parts of Asterisk.  This data is fundamentally flawed
since it conflates commit volume with patch authorship, which often
are different.  However, it's interesting anyway and I figured I'd
post it after my curiosity made me actually do the study.

Method:
   Take all mail messages sent to the svn-commits list (before and
after mail server move) between 2006-10-23 and 2007-10-23.  Remove
all messages with "trunk" in the Subject: line.  Remove all messages
with "addons" in the Subject: line.  Remove all messages with the
word "branch" in the Subject: line.  Sort by author listed in
Subject: line.  Count incidents for each author.

Notes:
   1) Compares only raw volumes of commits.
   2) This counts bogus commits and repairs as doubly-weighted, since
a fix also counts as a commit.
   3) Clearly many of these commits are patches that were written by
others but committed by those with SVN commit privs, so this data
obscures who actually WRITES patches for Asterisk.
   4) Some people have jobs of taking patches and putting them towards
* core code.
   5) Some people <cough> who only had one patch had to have someone
else re-write it the same day.
   6) No consideration is given to complexity of commits - it is
possible that large numbers of trivial commits artificially creates
larger apparent volumes of changes.
   7) No validity is given to my mail archives.  I believe I have all
the messages that should be considered in this calculation - but
maybe not.  I don't delete anything, and I have no reason to believe
they are incomplete, but mail is not the best data store for this
type of analysis.
   8) If I've done this incorrectly, please feel free to let me know
how this offends you.

27 total committers, sorted by number of updates:

russell       : 768 (d)
file          : 660 (d)
tilghman      : 242 (d)
qwell         : 239 (d)