[asterisk-dev] merge policies, supported branches, API/ABI freeze (was Re: Asterisk 1.6 Release Management Proposal)

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Oct 22 17:29:40 CDT 2007

Russell Bryant wrote:
> A strict API/ABI freeze is not something I really had in mind for 1.6.  If that
> was the case, then we would really need a dedicated 1.6 branch instead of just
> using trunk as the staging area for 1.6.X releases.  I had figured that once a
> new API and related changes had received adequate testing in its developer
> branch, that it could be then merged into trunk (and thus, 1.6 releases).  But,
> that would break some level of ABI compatability, at least.
>
> I'm going to have to continue to put some thought into this one.

I have been thinking about this, and I do not think that an API/ABI freeze is
something that I would like to do for Asterisk 1.6 at this point.

As has been pointed out in other parts of this thread, trunk should always be
usable.  It may have a few rough edges, which I am hoping that the 1.6 process
will help alleviate.  I essentially want 1.6.X releases to be release-worthy
snapshots of trunk.  Take a snapshot of trunk, get a bunch of people to test for
rough edges introduced in the last month or two of merging new things, and
release it.  I don't want to impose anything that will hinder development on 1.6
quite yet.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer